OK As promised, here is the story of how my Morris Chair came to be. First, here is a picture of it.
It started out that I wanted to make one. I had not sold one or anything, I just wanted to make it. I Kind of had an idea in my head of what I wanted it to look like, but I was unsure of the dimensions. I had worked for Bill LaBerge off and on and had worked on Morris chairs there, but I didn’t want to copy his. (A real nice chair, by the way) I had an idea of the basic dimensions, but not the details. Since there is a lot of rather expensive wood in something like this, I wanted to keep trial and error to a minimum. Then I found a plan for sale and took a chance. It worked out great. It gave me the critical dimensions I needed like where to place the pivot for the seat back and the like. I made my first one and put it in a gallery. The gallery owner suggested some changes and I made another. This one was a winner. I ended up selling quite a few of them to Scott Jordan Furniture in Manhattan for some time. They must have gotten a cheaper source for them or started their own production because I haven’t heard from them in a long time. Anyway, that’s how they came to be. I have probably made 25 of them and I haven’t changed them a bit. I have added a straight arm version though. I like it a lot. It’s new so I haven’t made nearly as many of them. Here’s a shot of it This one is Sapele wood.
Now, As I said in my last post, I am starting a new chair and would document the process. I bent the arms the other day. They are 6″ wide and about an inch thick. I steam them for about an hour and a half in a simple steamer set-up. It is a turkey fryer with a gas can and radiator hose. The box is just plywood which holds up surprisingly well. Here’s a picture of it.
You kind of have to keep a close eye on the water in it. There isn’t a sight glass, so I add water after an hour. I don’t have a shot of the arms in the forms. I will next time though. I will also be working on the chair so check back.